Sterling Partners is a diversified investment management platform founded in 1983 and based in Chicago. The firm started with four young entrepreneurs, who went on to build one of Chicago's most prominent private equity firms. Today, the firm has expanded beyond its strong private equity practice into several other investment strategies. Complementing its institutional fund practice, Sterling invests in a wide variety of companies in various stages of growth - from early stage, high-growth businesses to mature, profitable companies - on a deal-by-deal basis. These investments cross several industries, and the firm makes control, non-control, and preferred equity investments. Sterling adds value to its portfolio companies and the founders with whom it partners with its entrepreneurial roots, deep domain expertise, focus on transformational growth, and access to world-class executive talent. For more information, please visit .
The Associate will be an integral part of the investment team, offering support and leverage to the deal professionals. Associates will report to the Partner in charge of the program. While the position is a two-year commitment, strong performers will be considered for a third year and a permanent role as a member of the team. The Associate will primarily be responsible for building out financial models and further analyses for our investors and existing portfolio companies, with some work related to prospecting potential new clients and growth opportunities for our deal professionals to execute.
- Developing financial models and internal memorandum for the portfolio company in support of potential new investments, acquisitions, divestitures, etc.
- Supporting maintenance of existing portfolio companies to further support growth of the companies and to prepare companies for successful and lucrative exits or sales
- Acting as a resource for deal professionals by providing quantitative aspects of the existing portfolio and potential new investments
- Conducting research and analysis to support portfolio company deal sourcing (e.g. industry / market dynamics, competitive profiles, outreach calls, target profiling, primary research, etc.)
- Supporting creation and production of meeting materials and internal documents to underwrite deals
- Participating in board meetings with some possible interaction between clients and executives
- 2 - 3 years of investment banking experience, with consideration of candidates with a background in management consulting, in-depth operational experience as a finance / accounting executive, and / or in a business development, transaction advisory, or M&A role
- High level of proficiency and comfort with 3-statement financial modeling and analysis (building both returns and operating models from scratch)
- Extensive experience building decks and presentations with Microsoft PowerPoint, with the ability to present decks effectively and professionally to appropriate constituents
- Experience with industry / market and company analyses, including familiarity with a range of business models and value drivers, such as working capital analyses, quality of earnings reports, etc.
- Strong analytical skills related to reviewing investment opportunities, portfolio company collateral, and financial analyses, with confidence in presenting findings and recommendations to senior executives
- Evidence of enjoying and succeeding in a fast-paced and team-based environment
- Well trained, highly talented, mature individual with a strong work ethic and history of high performance
- Ability to work independently and autonomously with minimal direction when necessary
- Bachelor's degree required from a top-tier institution with strong academic history; Business, Finance, or Accounting majors preferred
BENEFITS AND OPPORTUNITIES:
- Competitive compensation structure
- Health, dental, and vision plans
- 401K matching plan
- Diverse, collaborative, and entrepreneurial culture