Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.About You And The Role
Zipline is at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, lifesaving medical supplies on multiple continents, 7 days a week. We believe access to medical care should not depend on your GPS coordinates. In service of our mission to operate at global scale, we're growing our perception capabilities, to expand quickly and safely into new products and locations, with the ultimate goal of delivering essential packages right to your doorstep. Our perception team is looking for a software engineer with an expertise in classical and modern computer vision, who is passionate about developing perception systems for the real world.What You'll Do
What You'll Bring
- Work with a multidisciplinary team to evaluate, select and calibrate next-generation sensor configurations for our vehicles
- Investigate and develop computer vision algorithms and ML models for the perception system.
- Design integrated computer vision solutions that enable our highly maneuverable aircraft to perceive general aviation aircraft, power lines, and radio towers and other challenging obstacles, so that we can steer clear of, dodge or otherwise avoid them while running in real-time on constrained compute
- Develop computer vision systems that can are robust to varied weather and lighting conditions, thereby expanding the envelope of when we can make life-saving deliveries
- Design computer vision systems that can understand and communicate when they are not working well.
- Build machine learning models using deep learning for computer vision tasks such as semantic/panoptic segmentation, object detection, video understanding, etc.
- Build software infrastructure to enable learning algorithms to leverage our large-scale fleet data
- Understand the inner workings of neural networks to uncover edge cases and make safety determinations
- Identify and mitigate bottlenecks in our machine learning development processes
What Else You Need To Know
- Solid foundation in computer vision; key areas of interest include: camera calibration; object detection, tracking and recognition; multiple view geometry, 3D computer vision and SfM/SLAM; visual odometry; activity recognition
- Deep understanding of machine learning technology and experience with turning machine learning technologies into practical, state-of-the-art systems
- Deep understanding of the theory and practice of modern machine learning techniques
- Hands-on experience in computer vision and ML projects (2+ years).
- Experience building reproducible data and machine learning pipelines
- Experience working with production software. You are able to understand and contribute to high-quality software for a complex system.
- Strong 3D geometry, linear algebra, statistics and probability skills.
- Strong software engineering skills, with mastery of relevant languages like Python and C++
- Generalist mindset, with the ability to work cross platform, from spooling up cloud compute services to optimizing for embedded systems
- Experience deploying machine learning solutions on real robots
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!